A French Onion Tart Recipe from Our Young Lady of Paris
Coco Mary Blignaut admits that she has had many lives in one lifetime. Born in South Africa, she has travelled extensively and now lives in Southern California near Los Angeles. An actress, film producer, writer and educator, Blignaut has written several books, including Mademoiselle Puss in Provence and now Our Young Lady of Paris. Blignaut agreed to share the book’s recipe for a French onion tart. It is a version of a pissaladière from Provence. This onion tart is quick to prepare and perfect for lunch with a salad or an appetizer with drinks.
French Onion Tart
- 1 rectangular roll of Puff Pastry Pâte feuilletée*, thawed in the fridge
- 1 cup Gruyere Cheese shredded (4 oz)
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Thyme minced
- 2 tsp Fresh Chives minced
- 1 1/4 lbs Sweet Onions about 3 medium onions
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter diced
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the thawed puff pastry dough between two lightly floured wax paper sheets, slightly larger than 10 x 14 inches.
- Place on a baking sheet on top of a sheet of parchment paper or silpat. Sprinkle the rolled pastry with the gruyére cheese right to the edges. Sprinkle with thyme and chives or fresh herbs of your choice.
- Peel, halve, and very thinly slice the onions into half moons, keeping the moons intact. Place the onion half moons on the pastry in diagonal lines, barely overlapping and brush lightly with cream. Dot with the butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the tart is golden and browned. Cover the edges with foil if the tart gets too brown during baking. Decorate with edible leaves and flowers.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Additional Tarts to Try!
Blignaut’s latest book features the City of Lights through the imagination of Agnes Fleury, a young person in Paris. Or is it a dream? While you never really know, Agnes (played by Claire Murphy) visits many of Paris’s classic monuments and districts. Beautifully illustrated in a collage format, the book includes a playlist for anyone interested in what this teenager listened to during her day in the capital city.
About the Author
As an Amazon Associate, the site earns from qualifying purchases. Note: if you purchase a book via these links, we receive a small commission that does not impact your price. Thank you in advance for supporting our work to maintain Perfectly Provence.