For Mushroom Lovers An Easy Sheet Pan Recipe
Cooler weather in Provence, a touch of humidity, and maybe even some rain brings with it the promise of wild mushrooms foraged from nearby forests. However, you need to know where to look and do not expect the locals to show you where to find edible fungi. The good news is regional markets, and small food stores should have a variety of fresh mushrooms.
I love the heaps of different types of mushrooms at the Aix-en-Provence markets; here’s a straightforward recipe to make the most of them. Sheet pan bakes are a super-easy way to cook a family meal or casual lunch for friends (when we can do that again!). I like that it can all be prepared in advance and popped into the oven where the various ingredients mingle together into a delicious tasty dish. Continue reading here for the original recipe.
Mixed Mushroom Sheet Pan Bake
- 1 3/4 lbs Potatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Red Onions
- 1/2 oz Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Fresh Red Chili Pepper optional
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Mixed Mushrooms
- 2x 15oz tins Cannellini Beans
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream heaped
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C (395 ̊F). Scrub the potatoes, peel the garlic and onions, then slice everything 0.5cm thick. Place potatoes, garlic, and onions in a large, shallow roasting tray (30 x 40cm) as you go.
- Strip in most of the rosemary leaves, then finely slice and add most of the chili (skip this step if choosing not to use chili). Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and 1 tbsp oil, toss well, arrange in an even layer and roast for 40 minutes. Halfway through cooking, roughly tear and toss in the mushrooms, leaving any smaller ones whole.
- Pull the tray out of the oven, drain the beans, and stir them in along with 1 tbsp vinegar. Sprinkle the remaining rosemary leaves and chili, then return to the oven for a further 20 mins or until everything is golden and delicious.
- Divide the sheet pan bake between plates with a dollop of sour cream on top. Lovely served with some steamed greens or dressed baby spinach.
Recipes For The Love of Mushrooms
Discover the Taste of Provence (winter 2020) menu from Jane Satow at La Cuisine Provençale, it’s all about mushrooms.