An Easy Dish Classic Chicken Provencal
When fall brings cooler air, you’ll want to warm up your tastebuds with delicious home-cooked meals that are sure to impress. This Chicken Provencal is a classic chicken dish that combines typical fall flavours like rosemary and thyme with Mirabeau Classic Rosé, which adds just the right je ne sais quoi to impress your guests.
Classic Chicken Provencal
- 4 Organic Chicken Legs
- 1 Lemon Peel
- 200 ml Mirabeau Classic Rosé or other rosé, if you must :-)
- 40 ml Olive Oil
- 2 sprigs Thyme dried is fine if you don’t have fresh
- 2 sprigs Rosemary dried is fine if you don’t have fresh
- 8 Garlic Cloves sliced
- 2 Red Onions thinly sliced
- 1 small Fennel Bulb thinly sliced with outer layer removed
- 15 g Tomato Paste
- 5 g Harissa Paste optional
- 8 Plum Tomatoes halved
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 100 g Mixed Olives pitted
- 250 g Artichoke Hearts
- Put the chicken in a bowl, season with salt and add the herbs, lemon peel, rosé and half the olive oil. Leave overnight in the fridge or at least a few hours.
- Grill your tomatoes. Season with olive oil and salt, grill on a high heat under your grill until nicely charred, remove and cool.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Brown the chicken skin side down in your roasting pan with a little olive oil for about 10 minutes or until the skin is golden brown and crisp, turn for 5 minutes and remove.
- Soften the onions and fennel in the leftover fat for a couple of minutes then add the tomato paste and harissa if using herbs from the marinade, cook this for a couple of minutes and then carefully add the rosé mixture bit by bit to deglaze the pan making sure you really scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add stock and tomatoes then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 140°C (285°F), add the chicken and artichokes to the pan, cover, and put in the oven for an hour and a quarter.
- Remove from the oven, add the olives and a squeeze of lemon juice and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Season and serve in a bowl with a hunk of crusty bread with a glass of Mirabeau Classic.