Heart-Shaped Citrus Almond Valentine’s Cookies
Maybe it’s a bit cliché to bake pink, citrus, almond heart-shaped cookies for Valentine’s Day…but then again why not? And, while you are at it pop the cork on a bottle of pink bubbly from Provence like our La Folie sparkling rosé.
Valentine's heart-shaped cookies
For the Cookies:
- 300 g (11oz) Flour
- 50 g (1.8 oz) Ground Almonds
- 100 g (3.5 oz) icing sugar
- 75 g (2.6 oz) Unsalted Butter
- 1 Large egg
- 20 g (.7 oz) olive oil
- a pinch of Salt
- Zest from 1 Organic Orange or blood orange
- Zest from 1 Organic Lemon
- 1 tsp Orange Juice or blood orange
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
For the Icing:
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Blood Orange juice
Prepare the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (350°F).
- In a bowl, cream together butter, icing sugar, olive oil, zest and juices (you can use a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachement).
- Incorporate egg, then add the flour, ground almonds and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Roughly flatten the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Dust your work surface with flour.
- Roll out the dough into 0.5cm (1/4 in) thickness.
- Cut out cookies using a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place the hearts on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
Prepare the icing:
- In a bowl, mix icing sugar with blood orange juice until it becomes a paste. You don’t want it too thick. If too thick, add some more juice. If too liquid, thicken it with more icing sugar.
- Once the cookies are cool, spread some icing evenly on top (you can use a toothpick to push the icing to the borders and create a nice heart shape).
- Leave to set for 1 hour.
- Enjoy these festive treats with some bubbly!