Zucchini Quick Bread a Cake aux Courgettes
If you have a vegetable garden or visit a farmer’s market regularly you know that there comes a time when zucchini plentiful. And, the question becomes what to do with the bounty. The recipe below for zucchini bread is a sweet, quick loaf that is a perfect treat with a cup of coffee or tea. Although quick bread recipes are not typically Provencal, it is quite common to find these treats, along with muffins and even pancakes in urban coffee shops.
Zucchini Quick Bread - “Cake” aux Courgettes
- 3 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil or Safflower Oil
- 1 tbsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Apple Sauce
- 2 1/2 cup Sifted Flour
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 cups Coarsely Grated Zucchini loosely packed
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large mixer bowl, beat eggs on med/high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in sugars, oil and vanilla until thick and lemon-coloured. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and beat on low/med until incorporated. Add apple sauce, zucchini, raisins and nuts, if using, and beat on low until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour mixture into 2 lightly greased loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester comes out dry.
- Let cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then invert on a rack and let cool completely.
- Serve as is or with cream cheese. Wrap leftover “cake” in foil and use within 3 days.
Zucchini Many Ways: