Fresh and Easy Zucchini Tuna Rolls Appetizer
Although there are many guiding principals in France surrounding culinary pursuits; preparing food, choosing ingredients and presentation I have never encountered the Italian rule. No cheese on fish or seafood dishes. This appetizer bucks the practice with a tangy cheese topping – Zucchini Ripieni di Tonno – is a nod to Mediterranean classic ingredients, zucchini ribbons, canned tuna, capers and anchovy…and cheese!
Zucchini and Tuna Rolls
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 3 medium Zucchini
- 1 tbsp Chives snipped
- 1 whole Anchovy in oil
- 1 5- ounce can Oil-Packed Tuna drained weight about 4 ounces
- 1 large Egg
- 1 heaping tbsp Ground Almonds
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano grated and divided
- 6 tbsps Dried Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps Parsley coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp Mint coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and, with a mandoline at the thinnest setting, make thin and regular slices from the central parts. You should get 6 slices from each half for a total of 36.
- Keep the leftover pieces of zucchini and chop them well with a knife.
- In a non-stick pan, melt the anchovy in the tablespoon of olive oil with the chives.
- Add the chopped zucchini bits and cook for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and let to cool.
- Transfer the zucchini mixture to the bowl of a food processor along with the drained tuna, capers, almonds, Parmigiano-Reggiano (reserve 3 tablespoons), egg, mint, parsley, and breadcrumbs and process to obtain a soft, but not too moist mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add more breadcrumbs if too wet.
- Place a walnut-sized piece of the filling at one end of a zucchini ribbon and roll up to form a small cylinder.
- Proceed in this way until the ingredients are used up and place them inside an 8-inch pan lined with parchment.
- Drizzle all over with olive oil and sprinkle with the reserved Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.