Recipe for Daube a Provencale Beef Stew
This recipe for daube (beef stew) is similar to beef Bourguignon, but with a Provencal twist, and of course made with wine from Provence. Perfect for aprés-ski or other winter activities, this hearty stew can be made ahead of time.
Daube Provencal (Beef Stew)
This is the Provencal version of Beef Bourguignon. The biggest difference is the spices (herbes de Provence), olives and of course a wine from Provence instead of Burgundy. Delicious with crusty French bread.
- 2.5lbs Stewing Beef(the French use Joue de Boeuf), cut in pieces
- 1Bottle (750ml) Red Wine from Provence
- 1whole Carrotpeeled and chopped
- 1small Oniondiced
- 3 Garlic Cloves peeled and crushed
- 1cup Black Olives from Provencepitted and chopped
- 1small can Tomato paste
- 2tbsp Flour
- 2tsp Sugar
- A fewsprigs Fresh rosemary
- A fewsprigs Fresh Thyme
- A few Bay Leaves
- 4tbsp olive oil
- to taste Salt and Pepper
Serve with a green salad and some fresh French bread.