Delicious Dinner Chicken Fricassée à la Provencal
Fricassée is a traditional French stew made with meat browned in butter, served in a delicate sauce made from stock. You can alternate the meat in this recipe with rabbit, veal, or duck for a dish easily mistaken for a gourmet meal. The sauce is bright and full of flavour. Serve this dish with some freshly baked crusty bread for a meal that’s bound to impress. Discover more recipes on our website and in our newsletter.
Chicken Fricassé à la Provencal
- 3 Chicken legs & thighs
- 9 Green Olives try to get some big juicy ones
- 1.5 Lemons juiced
- 3 Carrots
- 1 large White Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro or coriander
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 50 g Butter about 2 oz
- 1.5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1.5 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1.5 tsp Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken in half (separate the thigh from the drumstick). Reserve.
- In a large bowl, mix salt and pepper, turmeric and cumin, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Reserve 15 minutes.
- Wash and peel the carrots, cut them in half lengthwise. Peel and cut the onion into large cubes.
- Peel and smash the garlic cloves. Chop the parsley. Rinse the olive under cold water so they are not too salty. Press the juice of one lemon, cut the other 1/2 lemon into 3 pieces.
- In a large saucepan, heat under high heat and sear the chicken skin down first with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sear the chicken for 3 minutes over medium heat on each side.
- Remove the chicken and sear the onions until translucent, add 1 tablespoon sugar, carrots, and chicken broth, boil 5 minutes, add the chicken back in the pan and cook 15 minutes with a lid on over low heat.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon pieces, cook 10 more minutes, add parsley, olives, and butter, cook 10 more minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Dress your plate, maybe use a pasta bowl, add gently, and with love, all the ingredients in your plates except the sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, whisk well and add the butter whisk well again while boiling. Taste and if needed adjust the seasoning and serve over the chicken dish. Add a few leaves of cilantro to bring freshness.