Mediterranean Chickpea Salad for Summer or Anytime
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is incredibly easy to make at home. I was craving vegetables when I photographed this version, so I made it with a higher ratio of vegetables to chickpeas. Despite the recipe given below, it is best to follow your own passions and add whatever you like. Use my recipe solely as a springboard to your own creation. The salad is a perfect lunchtime meal or the perfect side dish for grilled meat or fish. It is a summertime salad that you might take on a summer picnic or even make during the winter when dreaming of the warmer days ahead.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 1 - 15 oz (can) Chickpeas drained or 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1 Tomato cut into large dice
- 1 Seedless Cucumber peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 Sweet Pepper any colour cut into large dice
- 1/2 Red Onion cut into small dice, see notes
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley
- 1 cup Feta Chunks
- 2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Fruity Olive Oil see notes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 tsp Sumac optional
- 1/2 cup Pitted Olives optional
- Combine everything in a large bowl and let marinate together at room temperature for 30 minutes. If you make the salad and refrigerate it ahead of time, allow at least an hour for the ingredients to warm to room temperature before serving.
Olive Oil: My favourite olive oil comes from the Moulin de Coudoux, the last fully traditional mill in the Bouches-du-Rhône. The Moulin de Coudoux, which has been operating as a cooperative since 1947, preserves the know-how transmitted from generation to generation. My absolute favourite is what is called ‘Fleur d’huile’, or flower of the oil. It is obtained during the crushing of the olives before the action of the press. The juice collected is decanted to naturally separate the oil from the water. It has a remarkable smoothness in the mouth, soft and fine with subtle aromas that are subtle and very rich.