Discover the Authentic Salade Niçoise Recipe from Nice
La Salade Niçoise is a classic meal-sized salad (salade composée) with local, seasonal ingredients. As the name indicates, this salad originates from the French Riviera city of Nice, an attractive destination with vineyards within city limits and 10 kilometres of coastline.
However, like many recipes, there are endless variations, but a real Salada Nissarda follows strict guidelines the eggs are cooked; otherwise, the ingredients are raw or served from the can (such as the tuna). With the permission of the Office de Tourisme Métropolitain Nice Côte d’Azur, we have reproduced this traditional recipe below as part of a series of recipes on Cuisine Nissarde.
“Salade Niçoise is part of the mythology of Nice. We cleave to this emblem…, even though it has evolved over time. Each neighbourhood, every village, and every family had its own version. Salade Niçoise belongs essentially to the oral tradition and is not to be found in old recipe books. This does not mean that there are no rules…” ~ Office de Tourisme Métropolitain Nice Côte d’Azur.
Discover la Salade Niçoise and many other traditional recipes in Carnets de cuisine du Comté de Nice. Unfortunately, the book is available only in French. However, you can purchase this cookbook online at Amazon or the Office de Tourisme Métropolitain Nice Côte d’Azur.
Salade Niçoise - La Salada Nissarda
- 1/4 lb Mesclun Lettuce
- 1 lb Tomatoes
- 3 1/2 oz Spring Onion, tops and bottoms removed
- 3 1/2 oz White Celery Hearts small
- 3/4 lb Purple Artichokes small
- 5 1/2 oz Green Peppers small
- 1 cup "18-day" Radishes an early harvest variety sometimes called French breakfast radishes
- 2 oz Black Niçoise Olives the Cailletier varietal
- 3/4 lb Broad (fava) beans shelled if in season
- 7 oz Canned Tuna, in olive oil
- 8 Salted Anchovies about 16 fillets
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 4 Eggs hardboiled and shelled
- 8 to 12 Basil Leaves to taste
- Fine Salt and Ground Pepper to taste
- Red Wine Vinegar
- 7 oz Cucumber
- Wash the vegetables. Clean the radishes, keeping them whole with the tender leaves. Garnish a broad dish, previously rubbed with garlic (using a peeled clove), with mesclun (mixed salad leaves).
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters, place them on mesclun leaves, and add salt.
- Finely chop the white part of the celery and the soft part (the heart) of artichokes, green peppers and spring onions.
- Add small broad beans (in season).
- Add the tuna leaving large pieces
- Wash the basil and snip pieces of the leaves for decoration along with the hardboiled eggs cut into quarters, the anchovy fillets and the black olives.
- At the last minute, pour the olive oil on top, add the ground pepper and toss the salad in front of the guests.
- When serving, ensure that the ingredients are distributed evenly on each plate.