Try this Citrus Dessert Lavender Lemon Cake
If you are a fan of desserts with citrus, this lavender lemon cake is calling your name. This recipe from our friends at the Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm is easy to assemble and ready in about an hour. Serve the cake with a dollop of whipped cream as shown in the photo or lavender ice cream.
While the South of France is a place we never get tired of, Canada’s Okanagan Valley is a close second in the summertime. In this part of British Columbia, the summers are hot and sunny, and life revolves around the lakeshore. In this dry, almost desert-like climate, you find vineyards, fruit orchards and the Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm.
Growers, producers and distillers of fine quality botanical products.
The McFadden family farm grows over 20 herbs and botanicals, including lavender, herbes de Provence (rosemary, thyme, oregano), spearmint, and lemon verbena. The herbs and botanicals are harvested at their peak and then dried or distilled for use in Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm products. They produce over 50 items for aromatherapy, bath salts, balms, essential oils, teas and syrups—order online for shipping across Canada (flat rate shipping is available). Alternatively, if you are in the area, stop by as they offer curbside pickup on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Lavender Lemon Cake
- 1 cup Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 ¼ cup Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Lavender Buds finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Peel grated
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup Icing Sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- Beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Beat in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally, beat in vanilla and lemon juice.
- In another bowl, combine 2 cups of flour with baking powder. Stir into batter. Combine remaining flour with lavender and lemon peel. Stir into batter.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch buttered springform pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 50 to 60 minutes or until firm when gently pressed in the centre.
For the Glaze:
- Make a glaze by combining icing sugar with lemon juice in a small bowl.
- When the cake is ready, cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and place it back on the rack. Cool. Drizzle with glaze.