Strawberry and Lemon Mille-Feuille a Summer Dessert
Mille-feuille (pronounced meal foy), or thousand layers, is a rich dessert of several layers of crispy crunchy puff pastry layered with a pastry cream filling and/or fruit. In my version, I layered lemon curd, whipped cream, and ripe strawberries. If you do not have strawberries use other berries or even no berries. Give this classic French dessert a try.
Here is a video too:
Strawberry and Lemon Mille-Feuille
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry cut into 2 inch by 4 inch rectangle (see notes)
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 1 cup Lemon Curd
- 1 cup Whipped Cream
- 1 pint Ripe Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Confectioners Sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Lay the semi-frozen puff pastry sheet out onto your counter. Using a sharp knife cut the puff pastry into 2" by 4" rectangles. Brush the tops with the egg and bake for 9 or 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. You can do this step the day before but it is much better prepared the same day.
- Lay 3 pieces of puff pastry out in front of you. Brush 2 of the pieces each with 1 tablespoon of lemon curd and then 1 tablespoon of whipped cream. Cover the cream/curd layers with sliced strawberries and then top with the last piece of puff pastry. Dust with powdered sugar if you like
Strawberries for Dessert: