Strawberry Tiramisu a Sweet, Delicious Dessert
Strawberry season comes early in Nice. By mid-April, the first fragrant strawberries from the local hills grace the market in my neighbourhood. And as if fresh berries aren’t enough of a treat, this delightfully fluffy strawberry tiramisu never fails to impress. Vive la fraise!
This recipe is found in the cookbook Provence Food and Wine: The Art of Living, filled with simple to make Provencal recipes and tempting photography by François Millo.
For the Strawberry Tartar:
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- juice of ½ lime
For the Tiramisu:
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar
- 8 oz (227 g) Mascarpone
- ½ cup Unsalted Shelled Pistachios toasted and chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp Cocoa Powder for dusting
To make the Strawberry Tartar:
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, and lime juice. Set aside.
To make the Tiramisu:
- Separate the yolks and the whites.
- In a small bowl, beat the yolks with half the sugar until thick and white.
- In a medium bowl, beat the whites with the remaining sugar to soft peaks.
- Combine the yolks and the whites, then fold in the mascarpone.
- In 4 mason jars, place 1 tablespoon of the mascarpone mixture, then some strawberries, more mascarpone, a layer of pistachios, and finish with a layer of mascarpone. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, dust the surface with the cocoa powder.
- Serve chilled.