Fresh Asparagus and Pea Soup Recipe for Spring or Summer
Soups never go out of fashion and they are such a great way to take on lots of green goodness in one go. French green asparagus teams very well with peas and you can serve this cold in the summer for a refreshing and pretty way to start a meal. This asparagus and pea soup recipe comes from Jeany Cronk’s kitchen at Mirabeau Wine.
Serve with a Classic rosé, and some fresh baguette.
Fresh Asparagus and Pea Soup
- 2 small packs Fresh Asparagus about 12 stems
- 300 g Frozen Peas
- 1 Sweet onion
- 1 small tub double cream
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- some Fresh Parsley
- Roughly chop the sweet onion and gently glaze in a little olive oil (don’t burn it).
- Add 500ml of water, salt and the stockcube. Bring to the boil and add the peas and asparagus.
- Cook for 10 minutes and taste to be sure that the vegetables are cooked but retain their green colour.
- Keep back a few peas and asparagus heads for decoration later.
- Pour everything else carefully into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot and add half a tub of cream, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the soup into a big bowl or individual plates, pour a little olive oil on the surface and add the peas and asparagus heads, as well as the parsley.
- If serving cold let it cool down and put it in the fridge for an hour before serving.