Cook’n with Class Mussels Saffron and Leek Soup
Cook’n with Class opened its second location (Paris was the first) in Uzès in 2015. In 2016, they are offering a series of 5-day (7-night) culinary holidays based out of the Uzès location. The program covers some classic Provencal dishes, but also offers a chance to discover unique wine pairings and the opportunity to meet local producers in the markets.
This easy recipe for Mussels Cream Soup with Saffron and Leek comes from the kitchen at Cook’n with Class. Enjoy!
Mussels Cream Soup with Saffron and Leek
- 500 g (52.9 oz) Mussels
- 2 Leeks
- 300 g (10.6 oz) Potatoes
- 1/4 L (1 cup) Heavy cream (35%)
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- A few pistils Saffron (or 1tbsp Madras curry)
- 2 Shallots (diced)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (finely chopped)
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- 1 L (4 cups) Dry White Wine
- 2 tbsp Butter
- In a large saucepan, add: Cleaned live mussels, white wine, bouquet garni, shallots and parsley.
- A little bit of pepper.
- Cover and cook on high heat until the mussels open (not too long or you will have rubbery mussels and don't put salt yet.)
- Drain the juice from the mussels and reserve.
- In a heavy saucepan add the thinly chopped leeks with 2 tbsp of butter, cook on medium heat for 5 minutes then add the chopped potatoes, add the mussel broth, cream, saffron and a pinch of salt.
- Cook on low heat for 20 minutes and until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the mussels from their shells and keep then aside.
- When the soup is cooked, taste, rectify the seasoning and add the mussels you set aside, reheat quickly so you can serve it warm.