Flambéed Chicken a Main Course with a Spark
At Mas d’Augstine, we spend our “off-season” on maintenance, accounting, gardening and a bit of experimentation in the kitchen. To kick off the 2018 Chambre d’Hôtes season, we accommodated a party of eleven (yes 11!) and tested our recipe at the first table d’hotes of the year. Following a pasta course (Mushroom Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni), we served Flambéed Chicken to rave reviews.
Come and enjoy the pool, garden and the food!
- 4 Chicken Breasts Boneless, Skinless
- 1 tbsp Seasoned Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 knob of Butter
- 4 Shallots finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Brandy or Cognac
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) Chicken stock
- 16 Asparagus spears halved (optional) or Sliced Mushrooms
- 4 large tbsp Crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp Chopped tarragon
- Flatten the chicken breasts slightly and dust with the flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, wide pan with a lid, add the chicken, then sauté on all sides until slightly browned.
- Add the shallots, then sauté for about 2 mins until they start to soften, but not colour.
- Pour in the brandy, carefully ignite, then stand well back until the flames have died down.
- Stir in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan, then cook for 15 mins until the chicken is tender.
- Add the asparagus (optional) or sliced mushrooms to the sauce.
- Cover, then cook for 5 mins more until tender.