Recipe for Peach Frangipane Tart
Provencal summer markets are an embarrassment of riches. The produce parade starts with blood-red, juice-filled cherries from the sides of Mont Ventoux. Strawberries as small as a finger nails fight for your Euros next to creamy apricots (I dare you to stop at one). The stone fruit piles in as the summer weeks float by in a rosé-tinted haze – peaches, plums.
The Cocoa & Lavender recipe details are below, and more gorgeous photos can be found in the original post here.
Peach Frangipane Tart
- 2 1/2 oz Ground Almonds
- 1/4 cup Sugar plus 1 tablespoon sugar divided
- 5 tbsp tablespoons butter softened, divided
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/2 tsp Almond or vanilla extract
- 1 Tart pastry recipe below, blind-baked
- 2-3 large peaches halved, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cup Flour
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 8 tbsp Cold unsalted butter cut into 16 pieces
- 1 Egg separated
- ice water
Preparing the Tart Pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to blend.
- Add butter and pulse 12-15 times, or until bits of butter are about the size of small peas.
- Place the egg yolk in a ¼-cup measure (reserve egg white) and add ice water to fill the measure; stir with a fork to break up the egg yolk.
- Drizzle the liquid over the dry ingredients and then pulse to distribute.
- Then turn on the processor and run until dough almost forms a ball around the blade.
- Pastry may be rolled or pressed into an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Line the tart pastry with aluminum foil, then fill with pie weights (or dried beans or rice) and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights immediately, brush crust with reserved egg white and fill per recipe instructions for Peach Frangipane Tart .
Peach Frangipane Tart
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, combine the ground almonds, ¼ cup sugar, 4 tablespoons butter, egg yolk and almond extract and process until a thick paste forms.
- Spread almond mixture on the prepared crust and top with concentric circles of peach slices.
- Sprinkle peaches with remaining tablespoon of sugar, dot with remaining tablespoon butter and bake for 35 minutes, or until bubbly.