Easy Recipes for Side Dish Gratins
The Provence Gourmet shares his recipe for two simple side dishes, gratins made with tomatoes and potatoes. If you are interested in cooking classes and learning some traditional Provencal meals contact Gilles (Provence Gourmet) to find out about his classes.
Provencal Tomatoes and Potatoes Gratin
- 1.5kg (3.3 lbs) Potatoes not new potatoes
- 6 Ripe tomatoes Beefsteak or Marmandes in France
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 10gr (0.35oz) Butter
- 200gr (7oz) Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 bunch Fresh Parsley washed and finely minced
- 1 tsp Nutmeg grated
- olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Preparation of the Provencal Tomatoes
- Rinse and cut your tomatoes in half and remove the seeds.
- Set these in an oven dish and brush each one with some olive oil then add salt and pepper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 45min (195c° or 380F°).
- Meanwhile, finely dice a large handful of parsley and mix it with 2 peeled and crushed garlic cloves.
- After 45 minutes remove the tomatoes from the oven and scatter each one with your herb mixture and top with the breadcrumbs.
- Back in the oven for 45 minutes. Your tomatoes need to be softened and to reduce quiet a lot. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Preparation of the Potato Gratin
- Spread your peeled and crushed garlic and butter mix onto the bottom of an oven dish.
- Peel, rinse and slice very thinly your potatoes.
- Spread a thin layer of potatoes slices in your dish. Add few drops of olive oil, a little salt & pepper and some grated nutmeg.
- Repeat to add several layers.
- Put in a pre-heated oven (195c° or 380F°) for 50 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature