Cranberry, Pistachio and White Chocolate Biscotti for the Holidays
I like to give my holiday guests a goodie bag as they leave. A little seasonally-themed baggie of take-home treats seems to be the perfect way to end the evening. One of my favourite treats at this time of year is a package of biscotti. Biscotti are not too sweet- especially for those trying to limit their consumption of sugary cookies and candies- and are really good with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
This year, I made cranberry, pistachio and white chocolate drizzled biscotti. I make them early in December and freeze them. When I know I will be hosting a party or dinner, I defrost them a day or so ahead of time, place them in the goodie bags and lay them out on an attractive tray near the door.
Cranberry, Pistachio and White Chocolate Biscotti
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 6 oz good quality white melting chocolate broken into chunks
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and continue beating. With the mixer on low, add the flour and baking powder and blend well.
- Add the cranberries and pistachios and mix until just blended.
- Using an off-set spatula or regular spatula, place one third of the mixture on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- The dough will be very sticky! Use the spatula to create a 10″ x 3″ rectangle.
- Place another third of the dough on another cookie sheet and create the 10″ x 3″ rectangle.
- Continue similarly with the last third of the dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops of the rectangle are lightly browned.
- Remove the cookie sheets and allow the loaves to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Leave the oven on.
- Carefully remove each loaf to a cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the loaves on the diagonal into 1 inch slices and place them on the cookie sheets, cut-side down.
- Bake again for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Place biscotti on wire racks to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, melt the white chocolate chunks in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
- Using a spoon or fork, drizzle the white chocolate on the biscotti.
- Allow the chocolate to cool completely. Place the biscotti in air tight tins, using wax paper to separate the layers.
- Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.