Summer Dessert Perfection in a Frozen Nougat with Nuts
This year, we’ve introduced a new dessert class around oh so familiar ingredients and recipes of the south of France, most notably of Provence. In this class, you’ll prepare five (5) desserts individual portions and a large family-style sweet.
One dessert that we absolutely love is this frozen nougat with almonds, hazelnuts and pistachio. A great dessert that can even be made in advance (even by several months), if well wrapped. Make it as an individual dessert or as a terrine. The perfect union between the classic nougat and ice-cream – how could you not love it?
Provençal Dessert Class is on Thursdays in Uzès. English session at 9 am and French session at 2pm. Book a class now for a sweet time!
Summer Dessert Perfection Frozen Nougat
- 60 gr (2oz) Almonds sliced
- 30 gr (1oz) Hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp Pistachios
- 100 gr (3oz) Sugar
- 30 gr (1oz) Raisins
- 350 ml Whipping cream
- 180 gr (6oz) Honey lavender
- 30 gr (1oz) Glucose
- 125 gr (4oz) Egg whites roughly 5 egg whites
- Roast the almonds, hazelnut and pistachio in an oven at 150ºc (320ºF) for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Set aside the almonds.
- Coarsely chop or crush with a mortar, the hazelnut and pistachio .
- Make caramel by melting 50gr (1.5 oz) of sugar in a cold dry pot or pan until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add the almonds.
- Reserve on a metallic tray and let cool down.
- Once cooled, make a powder from the almonds and caramel mixture (use a food processor or a mortar) add the hazelnuts and pistachio mixture.
- Whip the cream, reserve in fridge.
- Heat up to 120ºC (honey, glucose, and the rest of sugar.
- In the mean time, whisk the egg white until firm (use a stand mixer), incorporate into the egg whites, the honey slowly and carefully, and keep whisking until cold.
- Fold in the nuts, the raisins and the whipped cream (slowly and gently).
- Put all that in a terrine or a mold of your choice, small ramekins would work for individual nougat
- Keep in the freezer for at least 2 hours, (overnight is better).
- Serve with seasonal fruit or you can even serve with a fruit purée.