Lucky New Years Dish Lentil Spinach Stew
Originally posted on Ginger and Nutmeg this recipe is a combination of lentils, spinach and spices. An easy side dish to ring in the New Year with a touch of luck. Why? Here, is what Nutmeg had to say.
Nutmeg is not superstitious by nature. That being said, she is not foolhardy either; there is no good reason to spend to much time with a black cat or walk under a ladder or generally tempt fate.
It is a tradition in Nutmeg’s family to eat lentils on January 1st every year. In many nationalities, eating lentils on the first of the year is supposed to bring you prosperity through the coming months. The rounded shape of the lentil is similar to a coin, and thus in theory the more you eat the more wealth you will gain. Given the fact that Ginger and Nutmeg are living, eating and drinking in France without pay checks, a bit of prosperity would not hurt. Continue reading here for the full story behind the recipe.
To understand more about the 33 health benefits of spinach, follow this link.
Lentils à la Saison
- 1 tbsp olive oil good quality
- 1 Zucchini finely grated
- small Onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups Brown lentils use canned
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 pound Spinach
- 2 tbsp Cumin ground
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 cup Goat cheese
- Saute the zucchini, onion and garlic until soft
- Add the cumin and lightly toast in the pan
- Add lentils and cook for a few minutes
- Add the chicken stock and white wine
- Cover and simmer for approx 20 minutes
- Add the spinach and cook until it is just wilted
- Add goat cheese
- Add salt and pepper, to taste