A Classic French Cheese Soufflé Recipe
A French cheese soufflé was part of a menu that I created for a virtual cooking class. The class Fusion Vegetarian Menu Inspired by My Travels in France and Morocco! included a delicious line-up of dishes. The menu included four vegetarian courses: a classic Cheese Soufflé, Grilled Moroccan Vegetable Kabobs, Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lime Crème Fraiche & Floating Islands (Iles Flottantes). During the class, I gave attendees tips on how to plate your courses in the style of Michelin Star restaurants.
- Kitchen Aid-Style Mixer
- 8 3-inch Ramekins
- Sheet pan
- Cheese grater
- 5 oz Butter
- 5 oz All-purpose Flour
- 12 oz Milk
- 5 Eggs split, room temperature
- 7 oz Grated Cheese like Parmesan (set aside 2 oz to line the ramekins)
- to taste Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- A soufflé is made of 3 components; the base (roux, milk, egg yolks), the flavouring (in this case, cheese), and an aerator - whipped egg whites.
- Butter the ramekins and line the ramekins with grated cheese so the souffle can climb, but wipe the edge around the top with your finger to remove the cheese.
- Make a roux with flour and butter. Cook 2-3 minutes. (Melt the butter in a pot and slowly add the flour while whisking until the mixture turns a golden brown). Now add the milk over heat, stirring constantly. Next, add 5 egg yolks and keep stirring. And finally, add the grated cheese and stir until it is melted. This is now called your “base.”
- Whip egg whites (making the aerator) with a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (either with a hand mixer or stand mixer) until firm peaks are formed. Always start with eggs that are room temperature!
- In another bowl to fold (mix gently): Put ¼ of the whipped egg whites (called a sacrifice) to loosen up the base. Fold the rest of the egg whites gently in 3 more increments.
- Then, pour the mixture into a large pastry bag. Next, fill each of the ramekins ¾ full with the mixture.
- Bake in a convection oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately!