Vegetarian Stuffed Aubergines (Eggplant) with Chickpeas
Petits Farcis is a traditional Provencal dish. The exact origins are up for debate as residents of Nice claim the recipe for their own. My version of stuffed aubergine (eggplant) is suitable for a vegetarian or vegan (if you leave out the parmesan cheese) diets. This recipe was one of the ones on a menu that I created for a Tasha’s Culinary Journey online cooking class.
Stuffed Aubergines (Eggplant) with Garbanzo Beans
- Sheet pan
- Frying pan
- Chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- 4 large Aubergines (eggplants) or 6 medium-sized
- 6 oz Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence or ¼ teaspoon each of dried marjoram, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and dried oregano
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 4 Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 3 oz Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- Basil finely chopped or chiffonade
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 can (15oz) Garbanzo Beans
- Preheat oven to 420°F (215°F).
- Cut each aubergine in half and then score a grid into each aubergine without cutting through to the bottom or the sides. Brush with olive oil and sear with medium heat in a frying pan.
- After, place on a baking tray, salt and pepper each half and bake for 20 minutes at 420°F (215°C), then 20 minutes at 375 °F (190°C).
- In the meantime, dice the tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and fry for 10 minutes over medium heat, until softened.
- Now add the garbanzo beans, herbs, chili flakes, tomatoes and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chopped garlic and cook for another minute. Spoon the mixture on the aubergine halves.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the grated cheese and sprinkle over the stuffed aubergines and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the aubergines for 20 minutes until the filling is hot, the cheese is melted and the top is slightly browned.
- Plating ideas – serve with fresh Basil (chiffonade- ribbon cuts) Parmesan crisps, tomato emulsion and/or basil emulsion (pour in squeeze bottles)!
Other Ideas for Eggplant Dishes: