Creamy Mushroom and Chestnut Soup for Fall Weather
A clear signal that Fall has arrived in Provence is when the first mushrooms appear in the local markets. Around the same time, piles of walnuts from the Dordogne and chestnuts from the Ardeche make their autumn appearance. Luckily in the markets, the hues of brown and tan nuts are offset by bright orange squash, green leeks, and apples and pears of many shades.
So, my question is.
Why as Thanksgiving approaches in both Canada and the United States, do food magazines seem to feature only brown food? Luckily, this recipe for Creamy Mushroom and Chestnut Soup is so delicious it has stopped my brown food colour rant in its tracks.
Enjoy this warm seasonal soup!
Creamy Mushroom and Chestnut Soup
This mushroom and chestnut soup was inspired by a recipe from Bizzy Lizzy’s Good Things.
- 1/2cup (225 g) Dried Porcini
- 1/2cup (120 ml) Marsala wine
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp Butter
- 2medium Leekstrimmed, halved lengthways & finely sliced
- 2 Carrotsdiced
- 2ribs Celerydiced
- 12oz (340 oz) Button Mushroomssliced
- 1lb (.45 kg) Chestnutscooked and peeled
- 6cups (1.4 L) Chicken stock
- 1/2cup (120 ml) Light cream
- 4thin slices Button Mushroomfor garnish
Button mushrooms = champignons de Paris