Chocolate and Pear Tarts a Fall Dessert
Chocolate and Pear Tarts
- KitchenAid mixer
- Small synthetic brush, whisk, offset spatula,
- Digital scale
- 9-inch springform pan
- Small melon scooper (baller) to core the pears.
- 2 squeeze bottles
Ingredients for Pastry Dough:
- 8 oz All-Purpose Flour
- 2.5 oz Unsalted Butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3 oz Powdered Sugar
- 2 large Egg Yolks beaten
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 3 ripe Bartlett pears* peeling is optional
- 3 oz Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 3 oz Granulated Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tbsp Ground Almonds
- 6 oz All-Purpose Flour
- 2 oz Cocoa Powder
- ½ oz Espresso Coffee finely ground
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Option: To garnish sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (200°C).
- Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan (or use vegetable spray).
For the Pastry Dough:
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub with your fingers until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the powdered sugar. Mix with a round blade in cutting motion, add the yolks slowly to bring the pastry dough together.
- Then form a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust a cool workspace with more powdered sugar and roll out so the dough will fit in your springform pan. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Cut each pear in half lengthwise and core the center with a melon scooper (baller). Then, cut each half in thin 1/8 inch slices, keeping the ½ pear shape.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light yellow and fluffy. Add the egg, then the ground almonds. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder and add to the butter/sugar mixture. Add the milk and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate batter into the pan and smooth the top. Place the sliced pear halves in the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Serving the Dessert:
- During my virtual cooking class, I demonstrated how to make an autumn leaf with a squeeze bottle of caramel and a squeeze bottle of raspberry coulis. You can also serve this dessert with powdered sugar, chocolate syrup, chocolate chards decorated with coloured shimmer powder.