Chocolate Hearts Coeur à la Crème au Chocolat
This dessert – a heart of cream – might just as easily be called “You had me at chocolate.” Coeur à la Crème au Chocolat lives up to its name creamy, chocolaty and delicious. Make this dessert at least a day in advance to make certain the liquid has time to drain.
Coeur à la crème au chocolat
- 8 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1 1/4 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate about 1/3 cup
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar sifted to remove lumps
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 16- oz bag Frozen Blackberries or Raspberries
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Chambord or Grand Marnier
- A few Fresh Berries for decoration
Prepare the Cream Hearts:
- Cut a double thickness of cheesecloth to 18-inches square. Rinse to remove sizing and squeeze to damp-dry. Line a coeur à la crème mold and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy. Add 1/4 cup of the cream and beat to lighten the cheese.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler (or in a metal or glass bowl over simmering water).
- Add the chocolate, confectioner's sugar and vanilla to the cream cheese mixture and beat to blend, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat the remaining cup of cream until they reach soft peaks. Fold them into the cheese/chocolate mixture until no streaks are visible.
- Pour mixture into prepared mold and wrap overhanging cheesecloth over the top, pressing down lightly to ensure the mixture if conforming to the mold. Put mold onto a plate to drain (the reason the mold has holes!) and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Make the Sauce:
- Put berries, sugar and liqueur in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes. Force the berry mixture through a fine sieve and discard seeds and skins. Refrigerate the sauce until is ready to use.
- Unmold the coeur onto a decorative plate and spoon fresh berries around the edges. Serve small slices with berry sauce drizzled over top, and pass remaining sauce around the table.