Carrot Flan a Savoury Side Dish
Are you looking for a side dish that is a little out of the ordinary? Inspired by a recipe in Cuisine et Vins of France this Carrot Flan is easy to make. Perfect for a light lunch serve the flan with a green salad and crusty baguette. Or as a side dish with a protein of your choice.
- 8 Carrots
- 8 sprigs Cilantro separated
- 8 oz Coconut Milk
- 4 oz whole milk
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 4 Eggs
- 3 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Peel the carrots and slice them into thin rounds. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium pan.
- Add the sliced carrots, chopped shallot, coconut milk, whole milk and cinnamon. Add salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 20-25 minutes until the carrots are very soft.
- Add half of the cilantro, roughly chopped, the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Allow the carrot mixture to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Grease six (6) individual ramekins with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
- Pour the carrot mixture into a blender. Add the eggs and blend thoroughly. Carefully pour the mixture into the individual ramekins.
- Prepare a bain marie. Place the ramekins in a large oven proof casserole and add boiling water to come up halfway on the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Garnish the ramekins with the remaining cilantro sprigs and serve while hot.