Super Sides: Cauliflower Salad with Cilantro Pesto
Cauliflower used to be the vegetable passed over for broccoli. Then kale had its time in the spotlight, and Brussel sprouts appeared on every menu. Now, this white-fleshed cruciferous vegetable is currently considered a “super-food.” But, at Cook’n with Class we are not concerned about culinary superstars rather easy to follow recipes with delicious results. Try this side dish of Cauliflower Salad with Cilantro Pesto with your Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas spread.
Cauliflower Salad with Cilantro Pesto
- 1 head Cauliflower
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Fresh Chilis
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) Pine nuts
- 2 Limes or Lemons or both
- 1 small bunch Fresh Mint
- 2 cups Plain Greek Yogourt
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Preserved Lemon
- 2 tbsp Fresh Ginger grated
- 2 Scallions
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- Cut the cauliflower to have large pieces, boil for 3 minutes in salted water.
- Remove and let cool down on paper towel.
- In a blender, blend cilantro, 2 tbsps olive oil, 2 tbsp, lime and/or lemon juice, 1/2 of the pine nuts, cold water, salt, and pepper. Reserve.
- Peel, cut and chop scallions, ginger, and garlic mix with yogurt.
- Chop mint and chili pepper, add to the yogurt mixture, add the cilantro pesto. Reserve.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil, and brown the cauliflower in it, remove, let cool down and mix with dressing.
- Toast the other 1/2 of the pine nuts in some olive oil and sprinkle on top of the cauliflower.
- Serve at room temperature.