A Savoury Chicken, Leek and Ham Pie
Beautiful leeks in the market this morning and a bit of frost on the ground, so what better for supper than a lovely creamy, warming pie. The recipe for chicken, leek and ham pie is below.
Chicken, Leek and Ham Pie
Tender chicken and ham chunks with leeks in a creamy sauce topped with flaky puff pastry.
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 250 gr Ham cut into chunky cubes
- 3 large Leeks finely sliced
- 1 pkt Flaky pastry
- 100 ml Dry White Wine
- 300 ml Full fat milk
- 200 ml double cream
- 75 gr Butter
- 75 gr Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Egg Yolk beaten
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Roll the chicken breasts in cling film so they are tightly sealed.
- Place them in a large saucepan and fill with water until the chicken breasts are completely covered.
- Bring the water to the boil and simmer gently for 20 – 30 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts.
- Remove from the heat, set aside and leave them in the water to cool.
- In a sauté pan, add the olive oil and gently sauté the leeks until soft, being careful not to brown them, as this will affect the flavour.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan, then add the flour and stir until completely mixed into a paste.
- Cook for a further two minutes, then add the wine and stir well.
- When mixed, remove from the heat and add the milk a little at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon. The sauce should be thick and lump free.
- When all the milk has been added, return the pan to the heat and gradually bring the sauce to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook the sauce for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- The sauce should now be very thick and glossy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Unwrap the chicken breasts and slice into large chunks.
- Add the chunks of chicken and ham to the sauce and then fold in the leeks.
- Ensure everything is well mixed.
- Unwrap the pastry, roll out to 3mm thick and then cut out a shape just slightly larger than your pie dish to make the lid of your pie.
- With the left over pastry, line the lip of the dish.
- Fill the dish with the chicken, ham and leek mixture.
- Brush a half inch wide strip around the edge of the lid with beaten egg and place the pastry lid egg side down on top of the pie.
- Firmly pinch the edges to make a good seal.
- Trim off any excess pastry. Brush the pastry lid with the remaining beaten egg yolk and make a small slit in the centre.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!