Valentine’s Day Beef Wellington
Want to make the big romantic gesture over dinner? Let this easy yet exquisite looking meal do it for you. Beef Wellington is a classic, although it takes a bit of effort no one will be disappointed.
- 1200 gr. / 42.3 oz. Beef tenderloin
- 2 Shallots chopped
- 400 gr. / 14.1 oz. White mushrooms
- 100 gr. / 3.5 oz. foie gras optional
- 400 gr. / 14.1 oz. Puff Pastry ready to go, thick if possible
- Salt and Pepper
- At least a few hours before serving the beef:
- You need to season the beef, sear it on each side in a very hot pan with oil for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove and let cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Clean the mushrooms and chop them in small dice along with the shallots.
- In a hot pan with no oil or butter, cook the mushrooms and shallots until all the water evaporates, remove and let cool down.
- Cut a nice square shaped sheet of puff pastry to 40 x 30 cm (1 cm or 1/2 inch thick).
- Place the beef on top, in the middle.
- Cover the beef with the mushroom purée and add a few pieces of foie gras and "close" the Wellington with the puff pastry.
- Brush with egg wash, and let rest in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Bake in an oven at 200ºC (450ºF) for 35 minutes for medium-rare.
- Let rest for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving.