Lemony Sweet Verbena Ice Cream to Beat the Summer Heat
Verbena has a lovely lemony flavour, the flowering plant is pretty enough, but it is the leaves you can use for hot water infusions or flavouring dishes. The plant is believed to provide several health benefits, including reduced muscle inflammation and boost immune system. Personally, I love a thé verveine (verbena tea) after dinner in the colder months. Or, in the heat of summer, enjoy this cool verbena ice cream.
Lemony Sweet Verbena Ice Cream
- 3/4 litres (2 quarts) whole milk
- 1/4 litres (2 cups) Whipping cream
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 250 g (8oz) Sugar
- 50 g Fresh Verbena a handful of leaves
- Bring milk to a boil, remove from stove and add the verbena and cover with a lid. Let infuse for 10 minutes.
- Whip egg yolks and sugar until it becomes white, add the hot milk (strain to remove the verbena from milk)
- Put back on the stove and cook slowly, with a wooden spoon, don’t stop stirring. Scratch the bottom to judge the texture, remove in a pan from the stove as soon as it gets thicker, and before it boils
- Add the cream, mix well and let the mixture cool down completely.
- Use an ice cream maker to create a really smooth mixture.