Homemade Apple Beignet with Caramel Ice Cream Recipe
This recipe turns seasonal apples into the best doughnuts ever. A dessert that no one (or at least no one I know) can resist a homemade apple beignet served with caramel ice cream. It’s slightly fussy to deep-fry the battered apples while your guests are there, but trust me they won’t mind at all.
Apple Beignet with Caramel Ice Cream
- 2 Apples peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup Calvados
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 recipe Beignet Batter (see below)
- 1 quart (1L) vegetable oil to fry in
- Powdered Sugar
- 1 pint (475 ml) Caramel Ice Cream
For the Beignet Batter:
- 1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Sparkling Cider beer or even water
- 2 Egg whites
Before your guests arrive:
- Marinate apple slices in Calvados and sugar for a few hours, or overnight.
- Make beignet batter by mixing dry ingredients.
- Then mix egg yolk, oil and cider.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks then fold in.
When you are ready to eat:
- Dip apple slices in beignet batter, and fry at 350F (175C) degrees till golden brown, about five minutes.
- Be sure to flip slices frequently so they cook evenly.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with copious quantities of powdered sugar and top with a scoop of caramel ice cream.