Ceviche Provencal Served with Socca
This recipe by Cook’n with Class combines the flavours of the Mediterranean with South America. The fresh, citrusy ceviche is served on a layer of hummus and a touch of Nice cuisine rounds out the dish with traditional socca (chickpea flour “pancake”). The combination of flavours in Ceviche Provencal Served with Socca is perfect for a shared appetizer or as a lunch dish.
Ceviche Provencal with Socca
- 500 gr / 17.6 oz Rockfish or Scorpion Fish filleted (No skin or bones)
- 150 gr / 5.3 oz Red onion slices sliced very thin
- 3 lemons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 20 leaves Fresh Basil
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 75 gr / 2.6 oz Preserved Lemon cubes
- 100 gr / 3.5 oz Black Olives pitted
- 50 gr / 1.8 oz Chives or scallions
- 250 gr / 8.8 oz Cooked Chickpeas from a jar rinsed with water and drained
- 57 gr / 2 oz. olive oil
- 20 gr / 0.7 oz. Fresh Garlic
- 1 lemon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1-2 tsp Ground Cumin to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 250 gr / 8.8 oz Chickpea flour
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Litre ~ 4 1/4 cups Water
- 2 pinches Salt
- Cut the fish in to thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the juice of two lemons.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the thinly sliced red onions.
- Add the preserved lemon cubes.
- Place bowl in the fridge and leave for 2 hours.
Preparing the Hummus
- In a blender add the following... chickpeas (already rinsed and drained) pepper, cumin, olive oil, lemon juice and chopped garlic.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add a spoon or two of water if needed.
- Taste to see if you need to add salt.
- Reserve in a piping bag.
- Combine the water and chickpea flour.
- Mix well.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the salt.
- Heat a non stick pan on high heat.
- Add some olive oil and pour on one ladle of chickpea batter.
- Cook well on both sides until golden brown.
- Add more oil if need be to the pan.
- Remove pancake(s) and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Reserve in a hot oven until you're ready to serve them.
Serving the Fish
- Remove the fish from the fridge.
- Drain the juice from the bowl.
- Add the remaining juice from the reserved lemon.
- Sprinkle with the chopped basil, chopped olives and sliced scallions / chives.
- On a large plate, make a ring of hummus with the piping bag.
- Add the Ceviche in the middle.
- Decorate with more chives.
- Serve this dish cold with the Socca.