ExploreGuest Post

Can UK Drivers Still Drive in the EU Using Their UK License?

One of the most common questions that Brits travelling to the EU have is whether or not they can drive there on their UK licence. Fortunately, despite Brexit, the answer is nice and simple.

Do I Need a Separate Licence to Drive in Europe?

In short, no, you don’t. You will need to request a green card from your insurer, but you can drive throughout the EU on your UK driving licence. Of course, the UK has left the EU officially now, but is still in the so-called ‘transition period.’ For the duration of this transition period, things will largely continue as they did while the UK was a full EU member. No one knows for sure what will happen after December 31, 2020, but there are no indications of an impending change so far.

According to the UK government website, any vehicle insurance that is valid in the UK will also provide the minimum of third party cover while driving in EU countries. Whether you have a standard car insurance package, or you have chosen a specific type of insurance like young driver insurance, you can be confident that you will be able to drive legally throughout the EU. This means that you don’t need to choose a special type of insurance just because you plan on driving in the EU at some point.

What is a Car Insurance Green Card?

A green card is a document issued by your insurer to certify that your insurance is up to date. This green card will be accepted by authorities across the EU as proof of your ability to drive. Not every EU nation requires a green card; in fact, most don’t. However, in the absence of a proper deal with the EU, a green card will be needed to drive in any EU nation.

For residents of Northern Ireland, a green card will almost certainly be needed to drive in the Irish Republic but, again, no one knows for sure right now.

Obtaining a Green Card

Green cards are not issued automatically; you have to apply for one specifically. Your insurer can issue you with a green card and the process should be simple and straightforward. However, you are advised to complete your application at least a month in advance of your travel date.

Also, bear in mind that many insurers will charge an administration fee to process your application. This changes from provider to provider.

Check Your Policy

As the UK government website says, a UK insurance policy will provide you with the minimum level of third-party cover while in the EU. However, just because your policy is comprehensive in the UK, that doesn’t mean you will get the same while in the EU.

If you can drive legally in the UK, then you can also drive in most of the EU. However, you should check the specific requirements for the country that you are visiting to be sure.


Please share this with friends and family.

All rights reserved. Perfectly Provence articles and other content may not be published, broadcast, rewritten (including translations into other languages) or redistributed without written permission. For usage information, please contact us.
Syndication Information
Affiliate Information
As an Amazon Associate, this website earns from qualifying purchases. Some recipes, posts and pages may have affiliate links. If you purchase via these links, we receive a small commission that does not impact your price. Thank you in advance for supporting our work to maintain Perfectly Provence.
Previous post

Salted Almond Praline Cake

Next post

Provence is the Perfect Setting for Sophie Claire Novels

Carolyne Kauser-Abbott

With her camera and laptop close at hand, Carolyne has traded in her business suits for the world of freelance writing and blogging. Her first airplane ride at six months of age was her introduction to the exciting world of travel.

While in Provence, Carolyne can be found hiking with friends, riding the hills around the Alpilles or tackling Mont Ventoux. Her attachment to the region resonates in Perfectly Provence this digital magazine that she launched in 2014. This website is an opportunity to explore the best of the Mediterranean lifestyle (food & wine, places to stay, expat stories, books on the region, travel tips, real estate tips and more), through our contributors' articles.

Carolyne writes a food and travel blog Ginger and Nutmeg. Carolyne’s freelance articles can be found in Global Living Magazine, Avenue Magazine and City Palate (Published Travel Articles).

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.