Savoury Anchovy Puff Pastry Bites for Cocktail Hour
These Anchovy Puff Pastry bites are a bit of a “throw-back” appetizer from a book of retro holiday recipes. Since not everyone likes the taste of anchovy, you can change the filling – sundried tomato, basil pesto or tapenade all work well. Read David’s original post for perfect puffs (with step-by-step photos) seasonal recipe inspiration from “The Merrie Christmas Cookbook.”
Savoury Anchovy Pastry Bites
- 1 cup Flour
- 8 oz Cold Cream Cheese
- 4 oz cold butter
- Anchovy paste (or other filling)
- Place flour in the bowl of the food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Cut cream cheese and butter into cubes and place on top of flour.
- Cover and begin processing with 10 pulses. Then run processor until the dough comes together in a ball. Because the cream cheese and butter started cold, this dough can be rolled and used immediately. *
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Roll the pastry thin - about 1/8inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut into rounds. Gather scraps, knead then together, and re-roll. You should have at least 60 rounds.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon of your chosen filling in the center of each round, then fold in half and use the tines of a fork to crimp curved edges.
- Place the half-moons on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.