Savoury Tart Recipe: Courgette and Parma Ham
A celebratory tart made in honour of the first courgettes of the season at Mas d’Augustine, Luxury Chambres d’Hôtes Uzes. The passion and patience one takes in the art of growing a garden, should be duly rewarded by it’s bounty in a delicious and well deserved meal. And there is no better place to start then with courgettes (zucchini).
Courgette and Parma Ham Tart
- 1 package Short crust pastry
- 2 Courgettes (zucchini)
- 25 gr Plain Flour
- 25 gr melted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300 ml Milk
- 3 Eggs separated
- 80 gr Grated Cheese cheddar or gruyere
- A pinch of mace
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 3 tbsp Finely grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 190C and line and grease a 24 cm tart tin with a removable base.
- Roll out the pastry to 1/8 inch thick and line the tart tin.
- Place in the refrigerator to rest for 10 minutes, prior to baking.
- Remove the tart tin from the refrigerator, cover the pastry case with a round of wax paper and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 190C.
- Remove the baking beans and wax paper and return to the oven for 5 minutes to cook the base.
- While the tart is cooking, slice the courgettes and fry them in the olive oil until lightly browned, do not overcook them.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the melted butter in a pan, add the flour, stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk making sure there are no lumps.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add the chilli powder and the mace and season to taste.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Strain the courgettes and tip them onto a piece of kitchen paper to remove any excess water. Cut the parma ham into strips and drape it across the bottom of the pastry case.
- Sprinkle the courgettes on top of the ham, reserving a few for decoration.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and stir into the mixture, add the cheese and whisk until thick and glossy.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture a little at a time, being careful not to lose all the air in the egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the courgettes, place the reserved slices on top and sprinkle liberally with the grated parmesan.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until the tart is golden brown.