Provence Gourmet: Red Wine Poached Pears
The startling colour of red-fleshed pears makes this easy, elegant dessert a crowd pleaser. It is a perfect fall dessert, combining the late season fruit with red wine. The pears can be served on their own or with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream. This recipe was provided to Perfectly Provence by Gilles at Provence Gourmet.
Provence Gourmet: Pears Poached in Red Wine
- 4 Pears not too ripe, hard flesh varieties are best
- 2 cups Red wine
- 1/2 Orange
- 12 Prunes pitted
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon powder
- Peel the pears keeping their stalks.
- Rinse and arrange the pears standing up in a pot of corresponding size.
- Cover the fruit with a blend of red wine (75%) and water (25%).
- Slice the 1/2 orange in about 8 parts.
- Add them in your pot with the sugar and a tbsp of cinnamon.
- Heat post and just before boiling turn to low heat.
- Cover your pot and let cook for an hour.
- After 55 minutes add the prunes.
- Make sure to serve the pears individually with the sauce and prunes when cool.