Alpilles Luxury Escape at Domaine de Manville
It took seven years, 50-million Euros and loads of patience before Domaine de Manville could achieve its 5-star rating. Edith and Patrick Saut are the visionary owners behind this new luxury “Palace Rural” situated in the heart of the Parc Naturel Regional des Alpilles.
The Saut family bought the 250-acre parcel of land with its assortment of run-down buildings on the outskirts of Maussane in 2007. When the dust settled after the transaction, they owned a decaying agricultural complex circa 1908 and a rough and ready nine-hole golf course from 1987.
The property re-opened its doors to the public on June 1, 2014. It only takes a quick glance at Domaine de Manville to register why it fits like a glove within the Small Luxury Hotel brand of properties. Attention to detail and respect for the environmental setting were the project requirements established by the owners. Their architectural team led by Mireille Pellen (architecte du patrimoine) followed those guidelines precisely.
Brawny sycamore trees (platanes) work their magic on the 30 guest rooms and suites, taming harsh Provencal rays before they enter the floor to ceiling windows. Mme Biscarrat (Responsable commerciale at the Hotel) describes the rooms as modern, elegant and without a hint of “Parisian Provencal.” There is no Arlesian paisley anywhere; starched whites and cool chocolates create the basis for the colour palate. Plush furnishings and high-thread count linens threatened to engulf the guest in a luxurious embrace – in what was previously a barn for tractor and hay storage.
During our tour Mme Biscarrat made it clear that Domaine de Manville is as much for the residents of Maussane, local golfers, spa seekers and foodies as it is for the overnight guests.
- 3km of hiking trails outside the Domaine’s doorstep
- The 18-hole Thierry Sprecher designed eco-certified golf course with its distracting views of the Alpilles and les Baux from every hole.
- Dimanches au Domaine de Manville – Sunday brunch and a movie in the cinema
- Fresh daily specials in the golf bistro
- Enjoy a romantic seasonal dinner prepared by Chef Steve Deconinck at La Table
- Honey made from the Domaine’s bees.
- Indulge with a range of spa services utilizing Domaine de Manville’s exclusive line of products created by Naturalps.
- Read a book by the gurgling fountain in the shade, while your kids are entertained in the gypsy caravans at the kids’ camp.
- In one of the nine three-bedroom villas (previously sheepfolds) these are fully equipped homes.
Image Credits: All photos were provided and published with the permission of Domaine de Manville