Provencal Appetizer Anchovy Dip
This velvety anchoiade-inspired dip is a gentler take on the salty Provencal sauce. I like to serve it with plenty of crunchy radishes, some quickly blanched asparagus and waxy potatoes for an easy aperitif platter to share. Chill your radishes in some iced water before serving for extra crunch. Take a look at the gorgeous photos by Maison Mirabeau.
For the Anchovy Dip
- 14 Anchovies
- 1 Garlic Clove peeled and grated
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 100 ml Vegetable Oil
- Lemon Juice to taste
For the Platter
- 350 g Ratte Potatoes or other waxy small new potato
- 10 Asparagus Spears
- 4 eggs
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes halved
- In a large mortar and pestle, mash the anchovies, garlic and Dijon mustard together. Whisk in the egg yolks then add the oil 1 tbsp at a time whisking well in between, until you get a thick and unctuous dip. Add lemon juice to taste. Set aside.
- Bring a big pan of salted water to a boil. Blanch the asparagus, then add the potatoes and cook until tender. Pop in the eggs and cook for 6 minutes. Set aside to cool, then peel.