Pork and Chicken Liver Pâte Tarts a Starter Course
Nimes-based chef Anne Challier adapts her recipe for pâte with pork and chicken liver pâte (pâté fois de volaille) to create a savoury pastry tart. Here is the recipe for the meat filling. Use a muffin pan as your shape, make the pastry dough recipe (below) and fill with the pâte mixture before baking. Prepare these tarts in advance, and warm slightly just before serving.
As shown in her photo, you can serve the tartlets on a bed of seasonal vegetables such as turnips, carrots and beets or in the summer months, greens and fresh tomatoes. This recipe is also excellent for picnics or an apéritif dînatoire – cocktails with lots of nibbles.
Pastry Dough for Petit Pâte Tarts
- 125 g (4oz) Plain Flour
- pinch of Salt
- 55 g (2oz) Sunflower oil
- 30-45 ml (2-3tbsp) cold water
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the oil and water.
- Use your fingertips to rub the oil and water into the flour. If it’s too dry, add water. Make into a ball
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350 F).
- Remove the plastic wrap and rollout the dough, cut into rounds.
- Using a cupcake (muffin) pan. Put one round of at the bottom of each on, then one ball of meat mixture and cover with an other dough round.
- Brush the top of each with egg yolk.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown.