A Fig and Tomato Salad Combining the Flavours of Summer in Provence
Paula says, “I love tomatoes. Tomatoes and peaches are the ultimate sign of summer to me. And I never want the season to end. Unfortunately it always passes too quickly.”
This simple salad recipe combines slightly tart tomatoes with sweet, fresh figs (from your own tree if you are lucky enough). The figs counter-balance the acidity in the late-season tomatoes, and the cheese although optional adds some extra, creamy roundness to the flavours.
Or, print a copy of the recipe below.
Fig and Tomato Salad
- Lemon juice a generous squeeze
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Pine nuts
- 3 large Ripe tomatoes diced
- 3-4 Fresh Figs diced
- Fresh Basil
- Kosher salt or crunchy sea salt
- Optional: Crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, toast pine nuts, shaking the pan occasionally until light golden. Set aside.
- Dice tomatoes and figs, place in bowl.
- Drizzle over olive oil and squeeze of lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pine nuts and toss.
- Top with torn basil leaves and crumbled cheese if you are adding.