Easy, Refreshing Salad with Shaved Fennel and Citrus
Combining crisp fennel and tangy citrus, this salad is great at any time of the year. However, I often crave it when I have eaten too many rich, sweet foods. My body sends desperate SOS signals telling me it is time to slow the train down and start eating more vegetables and salads. This salad is a delicious side for grilled meat or fish. It is also a great lunch salad with some crusty baguette and cheese.
Shaved Fennel and Orange Salad
- 1 Fennel Bulb shaved as thin as you can
- 2 Oranges cut into segments supremes - see notes
- 2 handfuls Arugula
- 1 - 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Orange Juice
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Shave the fennel bulb as thinly as possible. If you own a mandolin, now would be the perfect time to use it. After you cut the citrus ‘supremes’ (see notes below), squeeze any remaining citrus fruit to get all the juice out. Usually, this is the perfect amount for your salad. In a large bowl, toss the fennel, oranges, and arugula.
- In a container, combine the oil and juice. Cover and shake until well mixed, about 15 seconds. Pour over salad and toss well. Adjust seasoning to your tastes.
Customize your Salad
- add a sweetener: Who doesn’t like a touch of sweetness? Add a teaspoon or 2 of with honey or pure Vermont maple syrup to the dressing.
- add cheese: Try serving with a ball of burrata on top for added creaminess, or maybe shaved Parmesan, crumbles of feta, or whatever other cheeses you love.
- add nuts: Nuts are a great way to add more crunch to the salad. Try using pistachios, toasted almond slices, walnuts, or sunflower seeds.
Different Salads to Try:
These salads are all easy to prepare and perfect for a light meal. Enjoy!