A Perfect Summer Salad Mixed Greens and Fresh Fruit
Regardless of where you spend your summer, it should mean less time in the kitchen so that you can enjoy the weather. On a hot day, the last place you want to be is behind a stove, which is why a summer salad is an ideal light meal. This recipe combining mixed greens with fresh fruit and goat cheese comes from the Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm in British Columbia, Canada.
Dedicated to producing small-batch quality products from herbs and botanicals, this family operation manages everything from planting to the final product. The farm operations reflect the McFadden family’s dedication to environmental stewardship, supporting local business and quality production. The Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm grows over 20 herbs and botanicals, including lavender, herbes de Provence (rosemary, thyme, oregano), spearmint, and lemon verbena.
Every year at the farm follows a relatively steady cycle from planting to harvest to drying and distilling. As a result, their product line is vast, with over 50 items covering bath and beauty (bath salts, balms, and oils) through culinary (teas and syrups). Order online for shipping across Canada (flat rate shipping $11.95 | free shipping over $75). Alternatively, if you are in the area, stop by as they offer curbside pickup on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Okanagan Summer Salad
- 1 bag Mixed Greens Lettuce
- 2 fresh Nectarines or other fruit such as peaches or blackberries
- 2 small Red Diced Peppers or yellow peppers
- ½ cup Roasted Pine Nuts or other seeds such as pumpkin
- 1 tbsp Lavender Blossoms fresh or dried
- 1 small Roll of Chevre Goat Cheese
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Little Creek Gardens Original Dressing or your favourite
Prepare the Chevre:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Mix the breadcrumbs and the Herbes de Provence.
- Coat the chevre in olive oil, roll in breadcrumb mixture
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes and then slice into ¼ inch rounds.
Assemble the Salad:
- Meanwhile, wash and tear lettuces into bite-sized pieces and place them in a salad bowl. Top the greens with diced nectarines or peaches and diced peppers. Sprinkle pinenuts (or seeds) and lavender flowers on after the cheese is arranged, and serve the salad with a vinaigrette.