Savoury Quick Loaf a Ham and Olive Cake
Quick bread recipes do not contain yeast and therefore there is no lag time required for the dough to rise. This recipe takes one (1) hour, 15 minutes of preparation and 45 minutes cooking time. Sweet quick bread recipes typically include a fruit or vegetable base, think banana, pumpkin, zucchini. These are of course delicious and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
What about a savoury snack or nibble with a glass of rosé? This savoury quick loaf a Ham and Olive Cake is a great snack or pre-dinner bite. It’s often enjoyed by kids here in France when they get home from school for their goûter. In French, this is called Cake aux Olives et Jambon – yes they use the English word “cake.”
Savoury Ham and Olive Loaf - Cake aux Olives et Jambon
- 200 g (7oz) All Purpose Flour
- 1 sachet Dried Yeast
- 3 Free range eggs
- large pinch Salt
- Ground Pepper be generous
- 1 large tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 100 ml (3.4oz) olive oil
- 100 ml (3.4oz) Semi-skimmed Milk
- 150 g (5.5oz) Gruyère or Comte cheese grated
- 200 g (7oz) Ham hock diced
- 150 g (5.5oz) Sliced Green Olives
- Butter for greasing the pan
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F). Grease a standard size loaf tin.
- In a dry frying pan, fry the diced ham for 2 minutes until golden. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, yeast, eggs, salt, pepper, and oil. Mix well then add the milk, grated cheese, sliced and drained olives, mustard and the ham. Mix well.
- Pour into the loaf tin and place in the oven for 45 minutes. If you notice that the cake is browning too quickly, you can place tin foil on top. Take it out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Enjoy lukewarm or cold as a snack. You can also be sophisticated and serve it with a salad like a quiche but I honestly think it’s better eaten with your fingers.
Other Recipes for Bread
Cake Aux Olives Vertes – Green Olive Cake