Grilled Calamari and Radicchio Starter Salad
This starter salad of grilled calamari and radicchio is easy to prepare once your guests have arrived. The marinade of olive oil, garlic and herbes de Provence is light and does not overpower the ingredients. Best of all, this dish is really (almost) too pretty to eat. But, don’t resist it’s best consumed warm.
Grilled Calamari and Radicchio Salad
- 1 lb (450g) Calamari cleaned
- 3 oz olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 1 head Radicchio
- 2 oz Fresh Basil sliced thinly
- 1 oz olive oil
- 3 Lemons (2 for grilling and 1 for juice)
- to taste Sea Salt and Pepper
Before your guests arrive:
- Marinate calamari in olive oil, garlic and herbes de Provence.
- Cut radicchio in half, then slice thinly.
- Grill four lemon halves till blackened on the cut side.
When you are ready to eat:
- Cook calamari on a very hot grill, chop and toss with radicchio and basil.
- Season with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange nicely on a plate, garnished with charred lemon.