Aioli On Fridays in Provence
Despite what we might be led to believe by master chefs and Michelin-starred restaurants, traditional Provencal food was simple fare. It should be no surprise why the “Mediterranean diet” is so healthy; for practical reasons such as climate, and the fact that most inhabitants were destitute they ate food in season, sourced locally, naturally low-fat (there was little dairy) and often foraged.
Le grand “Aïoli” Provençal is served with steamed vegetables, salted cod and potatoes. Making the garlic mayonnaise is the most complicated part of this recipe. That is unless you wish to re-hydrate the salt cod a process that removes the excess salt by soaking the fish in fresh water for up to 15 hours (changing the water 2-3 times). Or, you can just buy cod from your local fish store.
Follow this link to read the original post by Ginger and Nutmeg and find out why you might want to make this traditional Provencal dish next Friday (or any other day).
Aioli from Provence
- 40 Large Shrimp peeled (tails on) and cleaned
- 12 Medium Carrots peeled and cut in half
- 1 Medium Cauliflower remove the leaves and cut in bite size pieces
- 6 Small Artichokes outer leaves removed
- 25-30 Green Beans wash and remove the ends
- 3 Large Egg Yolks
- 3 1/2 cups (1L) Canola Oil
- 1 Lemon slices for the platter and an optional squeeze for the sauce
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves crushed
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
Prepare the Garlic Mayonnaise:
- Separate the eggs yolks and discard the whites
- Add the crushed garlic
- Beat the eggs with a hand mixer on medium heat while slowly adding the canola, it will take a few minutes for the blended ingredients to start to create some volume.
- Be patient
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper at the end, mix well
Prepare the ingredients and the serving platter:
- Start several pots of boiling water on the stove top
- Poach the shrimp until they are pink (3-4 minutes), remove from heat, drain and put aside
- Boil the carrots until tender, remove from heat, drain and put aside
- Steam the green beans until tender (about 6-8 minutes), drain and put aside
- Steam the cauliflower until tender, drain and put aside
- Boil the artichokes for about 15 minutes, cut in half, remove the inner heart, put aside
- When all the ingredients are ready you can arrange on a serving platter and serve