Summer Pleasure: Recipe for Tarte fine aux Tomates
This recipe is shared by Aurelie at Avignon Gourmet Tours:
There’s a recipe I have wanted to make for a while now (Tarte fine aux Tomates), but I decided to remain patient as I wanted to make sure I would get the best possible tomatoes, ripened in the hot Provence sun. And, as I went to the farm yesterday and saw all the colourful, gorgeous looking tomatoes, I knew there was no need for me to wait any longer… follow the rest of Aurelie’s journey on her summer market shopping day.
Tarte fine aux Tomates
- 350 gr Puff Pastry I chose all-butter organic pastry
- 1.5 kg Tomatoes all around the same size
- 150 gr Mascarpone cheese
- 50 gr Grated Parmesan
- 1 good bunch Fresh Basil finely sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil good quality
- Preheat your over to 200°c / 400°F / Gas 6.
- Roll the puff pastry to a circle slightly larger than 30cm and let in rest in the fridge while you prepare the tomatoes.
- Remove the cores from the tomatoes.
- Slice them about 5mm thick.
- Mix the mascarpone cheese with the parmesan and basil and season well.
- Spread the cheese mixture across the centre of the pastry leaving about 10cm at the edges.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes around the outside of the cheese making a full circle.
- Continue towards the centre in ever-decreasing circles.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the tart in the preheated oven for 30 minutes
- Then turn the oven down to 150° / 300°F / Gas 2, and bake for further 45 minutes.
- The tart can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
- Bon appétit !