The Tastes of Spring a Salad with Fresh Asparagus and Parmesan
The beauty of Provence (among many things) is that winter does not last very long. The first blooms to appear are mimosas in the markets and growing wild along the coast. When the almond blossoms fill the sky with a pink hue, you know that Spring produce will quickly follow. Bright green asparagus seems to be the harbinger of the longer, warmer days ahead. This simple salad highlights the flavours of the fresh green asparagus with a tangy bite of citrus and hint of parmesan.
Photo credit (Fresh Asparagus): Tasha Anne Powell – Food Stylist
Green Asparagus Salad - Salade d' Asperges Vertes
- 1 bunch green asparagus
- 1 whole Lemon
- olive oil
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- a handful basil leaves
- a chunk Parmesan
- Trim then cut asparagus spears into bite size pieces.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a very hot griddle pan and stir-fry the asparagus until nicely charred.
- Finely micrograte about a tablespoon of zest off the lemon, then juice the lemon and mix the zest and juice with some olive oil.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Cut basil leaves into a chiffonade (basil ribbons).
- Gently mix this lemon vinaigrette with the asparagus.
- Top with parmesan shavings and the basil chiffonade.