A Recipe from the South Sea Bream and Zucchini Pancakes
Sometimes just a single ingredient can start our gastronomic journey in to creating a new recipe. Our friends over at Mas d’Augustine (a charming chambres d’hôtes near Uzes) know first hand what an abundance of courgettes (zucchini) can do to get those creative taste buds dancing with delight. Enjoy!
Fillet of Dorade with Courgette Pancakes and Tomato Coulis
- 4 Fillets of white fish I used Dorade (bream)
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 medium Courgettes
- 1 Red onion
- 2 large Eggs
- 10 gr Butter
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 tbsp Flour plus a little extra for dusting the fish
- Sea Salt
- olive oil
- Ground Black Pepper
- Heat the oven to 140C so that you can keep the pancakes warm whilst you cook the fish.
- Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper, lightly dust with flour and set aside.
- Peel the tomatoes and remove the hard core.
- Place in a blender with 2 tsps of olive oil, ½ tsp of sugar and salt and pepper and then blitz until smooth and pass through a fine sieve.
- Grate the courgettes and the onion into a large bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs and stir into the courgettes and onions. Add the baking powder and 6 tbls of flour.
- Mix thoroughly to form a thick batter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan with ½ tbls of olive oil.
- When the butter is foaming, drop in heaped tablespoons of the batter mixture and cook the pancakes on each side until golden brown (approx. 2 mins per side).
- You will have to cook them in batches, but you can transfer them to a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven.
- When you have cooked all the pancakes, wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper.
- Add the rest of the butter and ½ tbls of olive oil to the pan and, when the butter is foaming (but not burning), saute the fillets on both sides for 2 minutes.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the fish in the pan. Serve immediately on warmed plates.
- Serve the fillets on top of the courgette pancakes, with a little salad and drizzle the tomato coulis around the plate!