Recipe for a Provencal Lunch Spinach Cake
This spinach cake is made with eggs, but is not quiche. It is a perfect healthy dish for a potluck lunch, picnic or as a side dish with dinner.
Here is the story:
Ginger and Nutmeg have a lovely friend they met while hiking in France. She is a fascinating lady with a medical background. A nurse by training, she has a gift with languages and a sense of adventure that has led her to some interesting spots in the world. Before this delightful lady was allowed to leave Provence, a group of girlfriends (and one good sport – Ginger) had decided that a proper send-off luncheon was in order …Continue reading here for more details about the luncheon.
- 2 lbs Spinach leaves - or a large bag frozen and fully thawed
- 4 medium Leeks
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Nutmeg
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- 6 large Eggs
- 2 cups Milk - use rice milk to make this recipe dairy-free
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta - use goats cheese to make this recipe dairy-free
- Thoroughly clean spinach leaves, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Dice leeks and crush the garlic bulbs
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat
- Add the leeks and garlic, cook until tender but do not brown about 5-8 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Grate nutmeg over the top
- Turn up the heat, and add the spinach in handfuls and salt as you go
- Once you can fit it all in the pan, cover and steam until the spinach has wilted, stirring to make sure it does not stick to the pan
- Spread cooked spinach onto a platter to cool
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Once the spinach has cooled, puree the spinach eggs, leeks, garlic, Parmesan and milk in batches
- Add extra salt and pepper - the mixture should be heavily seasoned
- Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the feta over the top
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until firm
- The cake is done when tested with a knife and it comes out clean
- Serve the spinach cake at room temperature or briefly reheat before serving.